Enjoy one of the most impressive landscapes of Tenerife by kayak and a boat trip for whale watching in the same activity: kayaking and whale watching in Los Gigantes.
Book online and get a cheaper price than on other platforms such as Civitatis or Getyourguide.
Phase 1: Kayak route along the cliffs of Los Gigantes
The starting point of the excursion is the Los Gigantes marina.
Before we get into the kayaks and start paddling, the monitors will give us a briefing where they will explain the instructions.
Then we will start paddling along the cliffs, while the guide will explain the peculiarities of the area.
We will reach a point where we will make a short stop to snorkel and enjoy the fauna and seabed of the area.
Afterwards, we will make our way back to the port.
- Duration of the kayak route: 2 hours.
- No previous kayaking experience is necessary
- Kayaks, paddle and waistcoat included
- You must bring your own swimming costume and sun cream
- You can leave your personal belongings in our tent
- At all times we will be accompanied by a boat for support and assistance.
Phase 2: Whale and dolphin watching by boat
Once the kayak tour is over, we will stop for an hour to have something to eat before getting on the boat for the whale watching tour in Los Gigantes.
We will start sailing away from the coast in search of dolphins and whales, which you will almost certainly see as we will be visiting them in their natural habitat.
The route will take us to the bay of Masca, a small cove where we will stop for 15 minutes. Here you can have a swim and enjoy this natural wonder of Tenerife.
Finally, the boat will make the same route back to the marina, and at all times we will enjoy exceptional views of the coast of Los Gigantes.
- Duration of the boat trip: 2 hours
- You can bring your personal belongings such as your mobile phone or camera.
- You should bring your own swimming costume and sun cream
Take a look at the video of the complete excursion!
Prices and offers
|Person||Price per person|
|Children under 10 years of age||30€|
The price includes:
- Self-emptying kayak, backrest, paddle and waistcoat.
- Support and assistance boat.
- 1 drink.
- Digital photo book.
- Boat with capacity for 36 people for the sighting.
To be taken into account:
You only need to bring your swimming costume, sun cream and if you want a bottle of water. Your things can be kept on the premises or in the boat that will accompany us during the excursion.
Parking is not easy to find in Los Gigantes, so it is advisable to come early to be on time.
It is essential to know how to swim and to be in good physical and mental shape.
Map of the route around Los Gigantes (kayak and boat)
- Route in yellow: kayak route
- Pink route: whale-watching boat trip
Species of dolphins and whales you can see in Los Gigantes
There are two species of cetaceans that reside in the waters of Tenerife and Los Gigantes. They are the bottlenose dolphin (Tursiops truncatus) and the short-finned pilot whale (Globicephala macrorinchus), which you can see all year round.
Dolphins and whales are marine mammals that come to the surface to breathe and nurse their young.
Bottlenose dolphin (Tursiops truncatus)
- The bottlenose dolphin is also known as the bottle-nosed dolphin because of its short, wide beak. It is shaped like a sharp cone with up to 26 walls.
- Adult males are between 2.5 and 3.5 metres long and weigh around 500 kg. Adult females are 2 to 3 metres long and weigh about 250 kg.
- Bottlenose dolphins breathe twice a minute when in coastal waters. Deep-water dolphins breathe every 1 to 2 minutes at the surface.
- They usually swim at a speed of between 3 and 6 km/h, although they are capable of speeds of up to 30 km/h.
- Males live for 40-45 years, while females can live for more than 50 years.
Pilot whale (Globicephala macrorinchus)
- Did you know that the pilot whale is also known as the pilot whale? This name is believed to have originated from the idea that groups or pods were piloted by a leader whale.
- Male short-finned pilot whales are larger than females. On average, their bodies are 4 to 6 m long.
- Males have an average lifespan of 45 years, while females usually live more than 60 years.
- The short-finned pilot whale can dive in the ocean up to 500 metres deep.
- Pilot whales live in families of 15 to 30 relatives.
Sporadic and seasonal species
Other sporadic species that can be seen throughout the year:
- Sperm whale (Physeter macrocephalus)
- Atlantic spotted dolphin (Stenella frontalis)
- Rough-toothed dolphin (Steno bredanensis)
- Risso’s dolphin (Grampus griseus)
- Striped dolphin (Stenella coeruleoalba)
- Bryde’s whale (Balaenoptera edeni)
Seasonal or migratory species that may be sighted at certain times of the year:
- Common dolphin (Delphinus delphis)
- Fin whale (Balaenoptera physalus)
- Northern minke whale (Balaenoptera borealis)
- False killer whale (Pseudorca crassidens)
Tips for kayaking at Los Gigantes
The kayak is the perfect boat to experience the cliffs of Los Gigantes up close, without polluting the environment or disturbing the marine fauna. It’s also easy to handle and you’re sure to get the hang of it first time. Even so, here are some kayaking tips if you are a beginner.
- Adopt a correct posture, bending your knees slightly and placing them against the side of the kayak. This will give you stability and help you to strengthen your strokes.
- Hold the paddle like the handlebars of a bike, gripping it downwards. It is not necessary to grip it with force or tension, but firm but gentle.
- It is best to take long strokes, from the height of your feet to the seat. Always paddle to both sides so as not to paddle in circles.
- To turn left, paddle to the right only. To turn right, paddle to the left only.
Book your place online in two easy steps:
Book kayaking and whale watching in Los Gigantes online
Cancellation of the activity
- If you cancel less than 24 hours in advance, the reservation fee will not be refunded.
- If you cancel between 24 and 48 hours in advance, 50% of the amount will be refunded.
- If cancelled more than 48 hours in advance, 100% of the amount will be refunded.
- If the person does not show up or arrives more than 15 minutes late, no refund will be made.
- If the activity is cancelled due to bad weather forecast, the full amount will be refunded or an alternative date will be offered.